One of the best things to add to your regular exercise routine is some sort of spontaneity and uncertainty. Breaking the mundane aspects of working out really helps you look forward to your workouts. This is why people who get their exercise through sports, such as basketball, soccer, and tennis, are 47% more likely to stick with exercising (I just made that up that statistic. It sounds great, right?!). But I suck at sports. I’M A NERD! I need a different way to add some variety to working out. So, I hijacked an idea I heard about a while back: Podcasts and drinking games!
No you don’t get to take shots during this workout, but you are going to play the Diggnation Drinking Game without the booze. Here’s how it works: You turn on Diggnation and listen for certain triggers in the show that will cue you to do a specific workout. A trigger could be something Kevin or Alex says, does, or implies. Some shows might not give you much more than a simple walk in the park, others might make you pee yourself because you are too sore to go to the bathroom. Either way you are listening to one of your favorite podcasts and slimming down at the same time. So lace up your running shoes, set your Ipod to the latest Diggnation, and let’s get moving.
1. Start off by walking for at least 90 seconds
2. If the show is recorded in San Francisco, stop and do 60 seconds of jumping jacks, then continue walking
3. If they are drinking beer during the episode, lightly jog for 60 seconds, then continue walking
4. Walk for 30 more seconds.
The warm-up should take 2:30 regardless of which combination of exercises you do. If you hear any triggers during this time, ignore them. Trust me, there will be plenty more to come.
Note: After completing every individual workout, walk for at least 60 seconds, regardless of whether any triggers come up during the time you are finishing your workout/walking combo. This gives your body a chance to cool down. If you are in very good shape, you can relax off this constraint as long as you feel comfortable doing so.
- Alex mentions his girlfriend: 60 seconds walking lunges
- Alex yells something in a high pitched voice: Jog for 60 seconds
- Either of the guys starts on a new beer/tea (not counting the first round): Stop and do squats for 30 seconds
- One of the guys admits to doing something illegal: Sprint for 30 seconds
- Sprint 60 seconds if they make a failed attempt at covering their tracks
- Kevin or Alex tastes either of the other’s beverage: Jog for 60 seconds
- They massacre one of the “submitted by” user’s names: Stop and do 60 seconds of Jumping Jacks
- Either one of the guys makes a sexual innuendo: 60 Seconds of stair climbs (If you can’t find a full set of stairs, just step up and down on a curb. Make sure you alternate your leading leg when stepping up)
- A female Diggnation listener submits a sexy picture of themselves and Kevin and Alex gawk at it: Sprint for as long as you can. This is the worst, but you know you are almost done with the show. Once you feel like you can’t run any more, just finish walking for the remainder of the show.
That’s it! You have an instant unique workout. If you want to kick it up a notch, any time either of the guys cuss, start jogging. Don’t stop jogging until you hit another trigger from above or you hear a second cuss word. Another way to step it up is double the workout times if it is a live show. This will definitely add some extra kick to the entire workout.
The good thing about this is that you can make up your own triggers, your own workouts, etc. In fact, if you have any good ideas, please post them below so I can make an updated Diggnation workout. This is just a fun way to get us geeks into shape and the community will only add to the fun, so please comment. And remember that whenever you pass somebody while doing the workout, you have to give them a big, hearty: “DIGGNATION!”
As always, consult your doctor before attempting this. Stay active, have fun, and get into shape.